Professional vs DIY: When Should You Use a Professional for your Renovation
We have all seen the home renovation shows on TV where seemingly every day people are able to repaint their kitchen, bathroom or laundry cabinets to reveal a professional looking end result. Though do-it-yourself home renovations are becoming increasingly popular because of the popularity of these shows, it is creating an unrealistic perception that you can do everything on your own and end up with a professionally finished renovation.
A great deal of your home renovation can be done yourself and DIY projects are a great way to save money. When planning your renovation, it is important to have a clear idea what you should do yourself, and where you should spend extra for a professional.
Projects to do yourself
1. Painting walls yourself is a great and easy way to save money on your home renovations. If this is the first time you have tried painting your own home, YouTube provides a number of great videos on how to paint walls yourself.
2. Removing the doors and side panels off your cabinets to deliver them to Dianella Polishing is a great way to save money. The more work you do yourself, the cheaper the project becomes. Removing cabinet doors and removing the peeling vinyl from your cabinets is an easy project to do yourself that will save you a ton of money on your renovation.
3. Replacing door handles and other small appliance fixtures throughout your kitchen, bathroom or laundry is a great, simple DIY project that will save you considerable money on your renovations.
Projects to hire a professional
1. Refinishing or repainting your kitchen, bathroom or laundry cabinets is certainly a job you should save for a professional. Whether your existing cabinets are vinyl, painted or timber, a professional polish shop will be able to give you a long lasting, professional finish. Painting cabinets yourself is not only a time consuming, difficult job but it will also decrease the value of your home. Dianella Polishing will be able to take your cabinet doors and side panel into our workshop to be professionally painted with high quality 2-pac paint. You can save money on this part of your renovation by removing the peeling vinyl and the doors yourself and also by dropping off and picking up your job to our warehouse in Wangara.
2. Replacing bench tops throughout your home is a tedious and often difficult task. Whether you’re looking at a simple laminate bench top, or a more complex granite one you won’t regret using someone who knows what they are doing. Not only will this save you time, but it will also save you the headache of installing the bench tops yourself.
If you have any other questions about your kitchen, bathroom or laundry renovation don’t hesitate to let us know!