Reality Rules: Misconceptions About At Home Renovation Shortcuts
The last few years has seen an overwhelming hype and popularity of home renovation shows such as The Block and Reno Rumble. These shows give great insight into the the highs and lows that come with renovating a home. Though renovation reality television does provide a lot of great tips for renovating, it also provides a number of misconceptions regarding your kitchen, bathroom or laundry renovations. We have often talked about how easy it is to save money on your kitchen, bathroom and laundry renovations by getting your cabinets refinished instead of replaced. Renovation TV shows often show kitchen cabinets being refinished within the home. Though this is a viable, cheaper alternative to replacing your kitchen – there can be a number of issues that come with in-house cabinet refinishing.
You wouldn’t paint your car at home – why would you paint your kitchen cabinets? Painting cabinets within the home provides an environment that cannot be controlled. This increases the risk of dust and dirt getting trapped under the paint and drying. Once dry, it is extremely difficult to remove this dirt.
Can You Smell Paint?
Paint has an extremely distinct smell, and it’s one that can almost last a lifetime. If you get your cabinets painted at home, the smell of the professional paint will often leave not only your kitchen, but your entire home smelling like paint for a long time. Though the kitchen, bathroom or laundry is often sealed off for the painting process, the fumes from the paint can still escape and attach to furniture, walls and even you carpet.
Ventilation, Safety Procedures and Speciality Equipment
Having cabinets painted is a professional service. It requires special ventilation, safety procedures and speciality equipment. Though safe, there is always a risk when utilising the painting process. In Australia, it is not deemed unsafe to have your cabinets painted at your home. However, if the proper ventilation and equipment isn’t used it can be considered unsafe for your family and home. Why risk it? Leave professional painting up to the professionals to carry out in our purposely designed workshop.
Dianella Polishing remove the cabinet doors and side panels from your home before professionally painting them in our warehouse and paint booths. A professional warehouse is a controlled environment which ensures there is will no dirt or dust that could get trapped in your job. This means you will have a beautifully professionally painted kitchen, without the risk. Having your cabinets painted at a professional polish shop, also means your house won’t be left smelling like fresh paint. It is also a much safer alternative to at home paint jobs.
Do you have any questions or comments about getting your kitchen, bathroom or laundry repainted? Let us know in the comments below!
Timber or Laminate: A Kitchen Repaint Will Save You Money
There are endless cabinetry options for your kitchen – laminate, melamine, vinyl wrapped, painted cabinets, timber – the list goes on. Every few years creates new interior decorating and design trends. A modern kitchen usually doesn’t stay modern for long. Quick changing trends can often leave your kitchen outdated, before you’ve even settled in to your new place.
If you have an established home, or you’re looking at moving into an existing home, renovating your kitchen may be cheaper than you think. When purchasing a new place, home buyers often get disheartened by outdated timber or laminate kitchen cabinets. An assumption that ‘replacing’ the kitchen will run up a large renovation bill often means a great house will be discredited or undervalued.
Refinishing or replacing a laminate or timber kitchen doesn’t need to cost an arm and a leg. If the structure of your cabinetry is good, a laminate or timber kitchen can be completely refinished at almost a third of the price of completely renovating it.
Benefits of Repainting a Timber or Laminate Kitchen
A vinyl wrapped kitchen is amongst the most common kitchen finishing of the past few decades, which means a huge number of them come through the Dianella Polishing workshop to be refinished. The biggest issue with a vinyl wrapped kitchen is once the vinyl begins to peel, all the vinyl and the residual glue needs to be removed. This process isn’t always easy. It takes time and costs additional money to get the vinyl removed and the underlying MDF prepped to be painted.
When you have a laminate or timber kitchen, you don’t have the issue of removing peeling vinyl and residual glue. The doors, side panels and draw faces from your kitchen just need to be removed and brought straight to the Dianella Polishing workshop. The cabinetry does need to be cleaned and prepped before it’s ready to be painted, but this process takes considerably less time than the vinyl process. So not only will you save time in your kitchen repaint, but you will also save money.
Laminate and timber are both extremely durable, long lasting materials. Repainting your kitchen cabinets will save you time, money and give you a new look and feel to your home, all while not wasting the cabinetry you already have in place.
Do you have any questions or comments about your timber or laminate kitchen let us know in the comments below!
Professional vs DIY: When Should You Use a Professional for your Renovation
We have all seen the home renovation shows on TV where seemingly every day people are able to repaint their kitchen, bathroom or laundry cabinets to reveal a professional looking end result. Though do-it-yourself home renovations are becoming increasingly popular because of the popularity of these shows, it is creating an unrealistic perception that you can do everything on your own and end up with a professionally finished renovation.
A great deal of your home renovation can be done yourself and DIY projects are a great way to save money. When planning your renovation, it is important to have a clear idea what you should do yourself, and where you should spend extra for a professional.
Projects to do yourself
1. Painting walls yourself is a great and easy way to save money on your home renovations. If this is the first time you have tried painting your own home, YouTube provides a number of great videos on how to paint walls yourself.
2. Removing the doors and side panels off your cabinets to deliver them to Dianella Polishing is a great way to save money. The more work you do yourself, the cheaper the project becomes. Removing cabinet doors and removing the peeling vinyl from your cabinets is an easy project to do yourself that will save you a ton of money on your renovation.
3. Replacing door handles and other small appliance fixtures throughout your kitchen, bathroom or laundry is a great, simple DIY project that will save you considerable money on your renovations.
Projects to hire a professional
1. Refinishing or repainting your kitchen, bathroom or laundry cabinets is certainly a job you should save for a professional. Whether your existing cabinets are vinyl, painted or timber, a professional polish shop will be able to give you a long lasting, professional finish. Painting cabinets yourself is not only a time consuming, difficult job but it will also decrease the value of your home. Dianella Polishing will be able to take your cabinet doors and side panel into our workshop to be professionally painted with high quality 2-pac paint. You can save money on this part of your renovation by removing the peeling vinyl and the doors yourself and also by dropping off and picking up your job to our warehouse in Wangara.
2. Replacing bench tops throughout your home is a tedious and often difficult task. Whether you’re looking at a simple laminate bench top, or a more complex granite one you won’t regret using someone who knows what they are doing. Not only will this save you time, but it will also save you the headache of installing the bench tops yourself.
If you have any other questions about your kitchen, bathroom or laundry renovation don’t hesitate to let us know!